Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Writing Prompt #1

I don't blog much. I'm sure you noticed that. I want to blog more but I'm not sure what to blog about. So I came up with an idea. I found a list of 501 writing prompts. I will post one a week along with my essay or story. Anyone who wants to join me can comment with a link to your blog or if you don't have a blog just write your story or essay in the comments. But keep it reasonably short.


Today's prompt is: Many people believe that television violence has a negative effect
on society because it promotes violence. Do you agree or disagree?

There isn't a right or wrong answer to this. Just write your opinion. Here's my story:



Does violent television promote violence? Should we stop making violent movies? Should we stop watching them? That is the question.
This is a tricky one. Yes, violent movies may give some people the feeling that violence is okay. Do I believe violence is okay? It depends. Sometimes things have to get violent. Is a fight violent? Yes. Is fighting okay? No. Is fighting sometimes necessary? Yes it it. If a woman and child are being attacked, should a man stand by because he doesn't believe in violence or should he protect the woman and child. Protect them of course.
On the other hand people do get unnecessarily violent. Fighting for no reason, abusing women and children, etc.. Violence isn't a pretty thing.
To balance the two we need to be careful. We don't need to watch violent movies all the time. An occasional movie that contains violence is fine. Also, a movie may contain violence but it may not show it as and okay thing. The bad guys are violent. And they are punished for that. We just have to use discretion and not over do it.

Well, what did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment